Quinoa Corn CakesPrint Recipe
- Quinoa–Corn Cakes:
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- olive oil for frying
- Avocado-Cilantro Crema
- 2 cups mashed avocado (about 3 large avocados)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (for garnish)
For the Quinoa–Corn Cakes:
-Place quinoa in a small saucepan and add the water. Bring to a boil uncovered and then cover and lower to a simmer. Let cook until most of the water is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
-Meanwhile, saute the onion in olive oil in a large non-stick pan until translucent and slightly golden. Place onions in a large bowl and add in 2 cups of the corn. Place the other 1 cup of corn in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the pureed corn and the cooked quinoa into the bowl.
– Add the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mix well. Then add in the sugar, flour, panko bread crumbs, and chives and mix just until incorporated.
– Heat olive oil in the same large pan as you sauteed the onions in. Using 1/4 cup measure, fry the corn cakes, a few at a time, on medium-high heat. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Keep frying with remaining batter, and let cool on a paper towel lined plate.
To make the Avocado-Cilantro Cream:
Place all ingredients (besides for the chives) in a food processor and puree until a smooth sauce is achieved. Top each warmed corn cake with a dollop of the sauce and garnish with chives.